Top safety tips for new homeowners in Evansville
If you just bought your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for your family. You’re probably pondering the many ways you can individualize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, be sure you examine home security as well. Keeping those you care about shielded from harm should always be a top priority, and we’ll show you the way with our safety tips for new homeowners in Evansville.
Conduct a safety check of your new Evansville property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, discover what your new home has in terms of protection. To start, make certain you have operational smoke detectors. Inspect every one and switch out batteries if needed. Are there CO detectors? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also an excellent time to upgrade door locks and investigate all locks on windows. Go through every space and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Evansville home
Once you’ve done your initial inspection of safety alarms and locks, you should look into improving your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Evansville.
- Install a full-featured home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Evansville can do is integrate a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep an eye on your home even when you’re not there. You can scan live video footage, engage locking systems, and even communicate with guests at your door straight from your smartphone. You may customize with worthwhile security measures such as video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your outside lighting. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are an effective solution in dissuading prospective intruders. You might even use them in conjunction with outdoor cameras. When a motion detector is triggered, it can instruct your surveillance to start recording.
- Take care of your yard. Are you able to clearly see all of your property through your windows? Are there oversized bushes and trees impeeding the view? Eliminate likely places to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Make friends with people on your street. Talking about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friends with people close to you, they’ll be more prone to let you know if they discern anything suspicious. You can also connect to your neighborhood’s social media page if one is created.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for an innovative smart home, you can make it seem like you’re on site by illuminating smart light bulbs at programmed moments. This is a fantastic feature when you’re away.